Thursday, January 3, 2019

To the New Year

So I don't normally cut out an entire stanza of a poem, but the last half of To The New Year by M. S Merwin speaks to me as a beautifully soft reflection of the year.

so this is the sound of you
here and now whether or not
anyone hears it this is
where we have come with our age
our knowledge such as it is
and our hopes such as they are
invisible before us
untouched and still possible

I posted on Instagram and Facebook this list:

Here's to another wonderful 365 days of new choices and adventures, discovering new loves, cherishing friends, devouring good books, exploring new cities and countries and ideas, loving my family, realizing hopes and braving unknowns, growing with God, knowing my Savior, serving others, and being more grateful for an incredibly blessed life with so many people I love. #letsdothis

And that is exactly what I want my year to be in its long, drawn out form with that "go get 'em" spirit and all the months and memories jumbled together. 

But here in the beginning - in these first days of reflecting back on what I have learned in the previous 365 days - it is beautiful to see that all those unrealized hopes of last year and the years before are still sitting patiently on the list and, best of all, "still possible." 

So thank you, Mr. Merwin for the reminder of that quiet faith in good things to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment